[Seminario] RECORDATORIO INVITACIÓN SEMINARIO MATHEMATICAL MECHANICS AND INVERSE PROBLEMS JUEVES 21 DE ABRIL A LAS 16:00 HRS.

Maria Ines mrivera en dim.uchile.cl
Jue Abr 21 14:30:04 CLT 2016

Estimados Académicos y Alumnos,

se les Recuerda que hoy  jueves 21 de Abril a las 16:00 hrs,  se
realizará el Seminario Mathematical Mechanics and Inverse Problems, en
la sala de seminarios  John Vob Neumann CMM, séptimo piso.

/*SEMINARIO

MATHEMATICAL MECHANICS AND INVERSE PROBLEMS

EXPOSITOR

Jan Nordbotten
Princeton University, USA & University of Bergen, Norway

TITLE

Finite volume discretization for flow in deformable porous media

ABSTRACT: */

Many natural materials are both deformable and permeable, examples
including both human tissue and subsurface rocks. It is thus of
importance to have access to robust and flexible spatial discretizations
for Biot's equations, which govern the coupled flow-mechanical problem.

We consider three important limits for stable discretizations of Biot's
equations: Incompressible fluid, incompressible solid, and small
timesteps. Robust discretizations should be able to handle any
combination of these limits, however, due to the saddle-point structure
of Biot's equations, this can be elusive.

As a novel result, we show that the hybridized variational finite volume
framework (which includes the multi-point flux (MPFA) and multi-point
stress (MPSA) approximations) allows the construction of a naturally
stable cell-centered finite volume discretization for Biot's equations.
We give an overview of the proof, including explicit bounds on the
stability constants, and numerical examples.

Jueves 21 de Abril a las 16:00 hrs, Sala de Seminarios John Von Neumann
CMM, séptimo piso.

Esperando contar con su presencia, le saluda,

Ma. Inés Rivera